Saturday, December 4, 2010

50 Pounds gone and survived my first fill

Wow!!!  What a week!  All week I was sort of bummed since my scale got stuck again.  Thankfully I did not panic and I knew that a milestone that I had been waiting for was within reach.  On Thursday I was scheduled to have my first fill done.  So at this point you may be asking what a fill is.  I have attached some information about fills so you will understand the next piece of this success story.

An adjustment is an in-office procedure where your surgeon alters the amount of fluid in your band, making it tighter or looser.
The LAP-BAND® System journey is different for each person and the exact amount of fluid required to make the new stomach opening the right size varies from person to person. An ideal "fill" level should be just tight enough to let you gradually lose weight. That means you should still be able to eat enough to get the nutrients that you need, while still reducing the overall amount you can actually eat.

Before adjustments
At first, your surgeon usually leaves your LAP-BAND® System empty or only partially inflated. This gives your body time to get accustomed to your LAP-BAND® System during the first few weeks. It also allows healing to take place.

Your first adjustment

This will usually take place about four to six weeks after surgery. The exact time will vary from patient to patient. The adjustment is a simple process:
  1. Your surgeon will locate the access port underneath the skin of your abdomen — either by feeling for it on the surface of your skin, or using an X-ray.
  2. A fine needle is inserted into the access port. You may feel a pricking sensation similar to when you give blood.
  3. Sterile saline fluid is added to the band in your LAP-BAND® System.

Future adjustments

As you gradually lose weight, it’s not unusual for you to need more than one adjustment. During the first year, most patients get between five and eight adjustments (adding or removing fluid). The most common reasons for adjustments are discomfort or vomiting after eating, eating too much without feeling full, or not losing weight. Once you reach your goal weight, your adjustments may become less frequent.

Okay, so are you still reading my blog?  :)  So I hope that was able to fill you in on what a fill involves.  I had to have the x-ray technique used since both the Physician assistant and the Doctor both had problems finding my port. Overall it went well and my next appointment is January 6th for another fill.  They were very excited about the amount of weight I have lost and how well I am doing following the program and making this a success for myself.  My band will hold 10cc's and I already had 3 initially and they added 1 so now I have a total of 4 out of 10cc's in my band. 

Friday night was the Thomasboro grade school Christmas party at Alexander steak house.  I knew that I would have to eat soup since I had just had a fill and I needed to let me stomach heal a couple of days.  Well what a surprise it was to me to find out they do not serve soup.  What???  I panicked briefly but texted Tony to see what he thought I should eat.  I really wanted to stay at the party but did not think I could sit and drink water with lemon and not eat anything.  Tony texted back that I could try to eat salad or a baked potato.  Well when you order salad you get a baked potato too so I decided I could always just take it home.  Well the salad did not work out well so I was sort of thankful that I had the option to eat some potato.  It was nice to go out to dinner with other board members, teachers, staff, and spouses  of all of them.

Saturday was a pretty big day for me.  The scale finally moved!!!  I officially had hit the 50 pound lost point.  I was pretty excited about this accomplishment.  Some days I honestly do not see the change.  I guess I am starting to definitely see it in many of my clothes and I for sure can feel it in my my joints.  It is hard for me sometimes knowing how to react to all the positive feedback I am getting.  It is a new thing for me to receive compliments for my looks especially.  I feel so much more positive about the future and I know that the future is bright! 

Hopefully this week will be another great week for milestones and a new way of life.  I hope you are enjoying the preparation of the Christmas season.  As always it is hectic but it is such a wonderful time of year!  Love those around you but most of all love yourself and do something special for yourself.  I say this from personal experience, I decided that to be a better mom and wife I had to make myself a priority.  So far I think I am becoming an even better mom and wife 1 pound at a time.  Weight and your own self esteem can really cause havoc on your personal relationships.  Take care!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment